I felt so moved this morning as I read the Book of Mormon writer’s (I think it’s Mormon here) reflections on the miracle of the Savior’s saving power.
Thus we may see that the Lord is merciful unto all who will, in the sincerity of their hearts, call upon his holy name.
Yea, thus we see that the gate of heaven is open unto all, even to those who will believe on the name of Jesus Christ, who is the Son of God.
Yea, we see that whosoever will may lay hold upon the word of God, which is quick and powerful, which shall divide asunder all the cunning and the snares and the wiles of the devil, and lead the man of Christ in a strait and narrow course across that everlasting gulf of misery which is prepared to engulf the wicked–
And land their souls, yea, their immortal souls, at the right hand of God in the kingdom of heaven, to sit down with Abraham, and Isaac, and with Jacob, and with all our holy fathers, to go no more out.
I’m not going to try to embellish these verses but I do want to point out a few of the phrases that struck me so forcefully.
- “The Lord is merciful unto ALL” and “the gate of heaven is open to AlL”
- We must be sincere as we lay claim on God’s mercy
- Being saved requires that we believe in Jesus Christ and “lay hold upon the word of God,” act on our belief
- The word of God cuts through the distractions and temptations of this life
- Our goal in this life should be to become women and men of Christ
- Laying hold upon the word of God, acting on our belief/faith, will “land our immortal souls” in the kingdom of heaven
- If we follow the strait and narrow course to the kingdom of God, we will have the peace of dwelling “in the house of the Lord forever” (Psalm 23)
I am so grateful for the Savior Jesus Christ, for His mercy, His love for ALL God’s children, His Atonement, His saving power, and His invitation to follow Him and receive the gift of eternal life.